Computer Interfacing
Discussions about interfacing and electronics

Signal Ground / Signal Common necessary?

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> RS422 and RS485
damian
New User

Apr 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi all, I'm a newbie to electronic engineering so forgive me if the answer to this question is obvious.

I'm experiencing a lot of noise in an RS485 network I've put together. The cable lengths are very short (<1m total cable length), I'm properly biasing the A and B signals and I've tried both terminated and unterminated lines, and I'm only running at 19200bp.

I suspect the problem is ground noise, as I'm using the RS485 input signals to set PWM levels for high-power LEDs (up to 1000mA momentarily at 3.8V). I'm using a four-wire connection between each node (+12V, GND, RS485-A, RS485-B, with the RS485-A & -B a self-twisted pair of hookup wire).

Would it be enough to add a signal ground wire between the RS485 device ground inputs, with 100Ω resistors in series between the RS485 device ground and the signal ground wire? Or should I think about adding full isolation to the RS485 device, including a transformer for floating power supply and opto-isolators on the A and B signal lines? Or is this excessive?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Damian

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> RS422 and RS485
Page 1 of 1

Running on php BB © 2001, 2009 php BB Group
   Lammert Bies     Interfacing     Sitemap     Forum