Computer Interfacing
Discussions about interfacing and electronics

Pulse induction metal detector with digital signal processor

This forum contains all user experiences and comments regarding the PI metal detector project on this site.

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> Pulse Induction metal detector
lammert
Site Admin

Dec 26, 2008 5:54 pm

This forum is used for feedback on my pulse induction metal detector project. Please use this forum to share your experiences and knowledge to create the best discriminating pulse induction metal detector available.

Last edited by lammert on Feb 06, 2009 8:46 am; edited 2 times in total
tbethell
New User

Jan 13, 2009 3:18 am

Dear Lammert,

I was delighted to see your PI metal detector page. I have been learning how to use microcontrollers and wondered if it were possible to incorporate one into the inner workings of a PI detector. Your device seems to be precisely what I had imagined - albeit with a DSP - and your description is extremely clear. However, the description seems to stop after the schematic of the power supply. Is there more material, or is that really where it stops?

Yours sincerely,
Tom.
lammert
Site Admin

Jan 13, 2009 8:47 am

No this is not where it stops Smile

I started with this page just a few days ago and it takes a lot of time to convert schematics and write readable texts. So the page will expand in the coming days.

There is actually not much difference between microcontrollers and DSPs. The DSP I use is a dsPIC processor from Microchip. That is the same manufacturer who makes the widely used PIC microcontrollers. The main difference between a general microcontroller and a DSP is that the latter has built-in CPU commands for fast matrix calculations and they also often have fast ADC converters onboard.

Using a DSP therefore reduces the number of components because no fast external ADC is necessary and also most filtering can be done internally in software instead of externally with capacitors and resistors.
tbethell
New User

Jan 19, 2009 12:55 am

Excellent, I look forwards to reading more in the future. Currently I'm use PIC 18Fs, although I recently got the 24F Explorer 16 demo board to play around with, and of course fantasize about using it in the future. The touchscreen user-interface demo was really very impressive.

Thanks for replying, I think it's an wonderful thing you're doing, putting your projects online.

Regards
Tom.
lammert
Site Admin

Feb 06, 2009 8:45 am

I have moved the more technical topics in this thread to separate threads in the forum. This thread is now promoted to be used for general announcements about the PI metal detector project.

You can find all threads about the PI metal detector project at http://www.lammertbies.nl/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> Pulse Induction metal detector
Page 1 of 1

Running on php BB © 2001, 2009 php BB Group
   Lammert Bies     Interfacing     Sitemap     Forum