Computer Interfacing
Discussions about interfacing and electronics

IGBT as a replacement for the power Mosfet

Is it possible to use an IGBT to drive the search coil in the Pulse Induction metal detector?

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> Pulse Induction metal detector
lammert
Site Admin

Feb 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Split from http://www.lammertbies.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1259:

Quote:
And IGBT's are becoming more popular. Have you considered these instead of MOSFETs?

I have worked IGBT's more than 15 years ago in the design of DSP controlled high power inverters for UPS systems. At that time they could only be used in audio frequency ranges until about 15kHz. I haven't used them since and was still under the impression that they weren't capable of handling the high switching speeds needed in PI metal detectors. I will look into it but won't promise that I will use them in the design Smile

In about 6 weeks I expect to have a PCB available at nominal costs which can be used for testing of the concept and tuning of algorithms for different coils and soil types. As I haven't ordered the first batch of PCBs yet, I can still add a place on the board where an IGBT can be placed as a replacement for the MOSFET.

Last edited by lammert on Feb 06, 2009 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Mar 16, 2009 7:10 am

I was looking at the HGTG10N120BND as a PI driver igbt
can be purchased relatively cheap on ebay, sourced from China.
levettp
New User

Oct 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Doubt that you will get an improvement. Switch-off time for IGBT's that I looked up is in terms of micro seconds while the normal mosfet used in PI's have switch-off times of only a few nano seconds
Johnsgtx

Jan 14, 2015 2:01 am

I would like to build one that does not compromise on power source. What I intend to build a PI detector that has a dual power supply so the coil will be powered off a 37 volt supply and the rest can be powered by a 12.5 volt supply.

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> Pulse Induction metal detector
Page 1 of 1

Running on php BB © 2001, 2009 php BB Group
   Lammert Bies     Interfacing     Sitemap     Forum