Computer Interfacing
Discussions about interfacing and electronics

RS232 IBM T42 retrofit

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> RS232
new

Sep 28, 2009 11:14 am

Hi,
is it possible to retrofit RS232 to IBM ThinkPad T42 , any help will be apreciated or link to it, i used google to search but no luck. Thanks in advance.
olmari

Oct 01, 2009 1:40 pm

I have t42p, the computer itself does indeed DOES have rs232 port, but it is available trough "port replicator" (= docking station of sort). More info about the device in http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Port_Replicator_II
Juan

Nov 23, 2010 10:15 pm

The T42 has the internal circuitry for a serial port, but the laptop does not have an actual external RS-232 port to connect to. If you want to connect a serial device to a T42, I think there may be 3 possible options:

1. Connect the T42 to a docking station or port replicator. This will give you an actual RS-232 port.

2. If you're technical, I read that it may be possible to solder an RS-232 directly from the motherboard. I haven't tried it and I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but if you're interested, there's a web site with instructions. The system doesn't let me post the link, but google "ibm t41 t42 rs232 output trick - Digital Kaos" to find it. Or try typing the usual "htt...ww." followed by "digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f36/ibm-t41-t42-rs232-output-trick-154238/"

3. I think the easiest and least expensive option is to buy a USB-to-RS232 adapter (with the appropriate device driver). This will let you connect your serial devices to one of the USB ports on the laptop.

Good luck.

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> RS232
Page 1 of 1

Running on php BB © 2001, 2009 php BB Group
   Lammert Bies     Interfacing     Sitemap     Forum