Computer Interfacing
Discussions about interfacing and electronics

Parallel port

Testing of

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> General talk
Adriaan
New User

Mar 08, 2011 12:27 pm

In Lammert's tutorial the "hard wiring" of the port is shown when "CheckIt" is to be used to test the port. I bought this software and it makes provision for the testing of all possible ports one can get on a PC, EXCEPT the serial or parallel ports, and it is just these that I want to test! Is there a "trick" one has to do to test these ports with this software?
Adriaan
New User

Mar 09, 2011 6:48 am

I also posed this question to the supplier of the software and they gave me a satisfying answer. When I first ran the software it did "see" the ports, and now the "trick": because of the fact that I had no devices connected to the ports they could not be tested.
dcromley2

Mar 09, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm not familiar with Lammert's tutorial or checkit, but I've used inpout32.dll successfully (with XP).

(I'm not trusted with U R L's here yet, so make the following a valid U R L.)
logix4u net /Legacy_Ports/Parallel_Port/Inpout32.dll_for_Windows_98/2000/NT/XP.html

I've used it with MSWORD VBA.
I can post some code if you'd like.
Adriaan
New User

Mar 17, 2011 9:39 am

I did not have any success yet, so I'm glad for this information and will definitely go and try it. Will it also work for the serial port? I would like some more information. I don't know if you will have to post it to this forum, else, can you post it to my e-mail address? (asvn@mweb.co.za). Thanks!
dcromley
New User

Mar 23, 2011 4:10 pm

>.. serial port?
I don't know. Interesting thought. If I get the time, I will investigate. Here's a routine for MSWORD VBA that toggles all 8 bits (parallel port) every second. (Too bad indenting is lost)

Option Explicit

Public Declare Function Inp Lib "inpout32.dll" _
Alias "Inp32" (ByVal PortAddress As Integer) As Integer

Public Declare Sub Out Lib "inpout32.dll" _
Alias "Out32" (ByVal PortAddress As Integer, ByVal Value As Integer)

Sub Main1() ' output loop
Call Out(&H37A, &H0) ' if 37Abit5=0, is output
Do
Beep '
Call Out(&H378, &H0)
Call zdelay
Call Out(&H378, &HFF)
Call zdelay
Loop
End Sub

Sub zdelay()
Dim zTime#
zTime = Timer + 1
Do
DoEvents
Loop While Timer < zTime
' Beep
End Sub
Adriaan
New User

Mar 28, 2011 9:01 am

Smile Thanks a lot. I did visit the website you mentioned and it was very interesting and actaully very simple! It was though also clear that one would need to have some code which I have now! Thanks for helping me not to need to re-invent the wheel!

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> General talk
Page 1 of 1

Running on php BB © 2001, 2009 php BB Group
   Lammert Bies     Interfacing     Sitemap     Forum