Computer Interfacing
Discussions about interfacing and electronics

Recreating one RS-232 signal to two EXACT same signals

How to recreate one RS-232 connection and have two SAME simultaneous port activity

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> RS232
charles8to33

Mar 11, 2011 5:18 pm

I have a counter that is connected to a computer that measures the distance.

Now, I want the output of the counter (RS-232) to be connected to two different ports on the computer.

So my question is, how do i recreate the serial stream simultaneously with no time delay between both?

Can we just split/recreate the data with a certain device?

When the device is connected to a port in the computer (i,e, Port 3), the output of the counter is fed into a Matlab program.

So what I want to do is, the data that is being fed in matlab, to be time stamped in REAL CURRENT TIME.

I thought about using a software that could read the data in the port, however, when the counter is connected to Port 3 and is being read by matlab, the other software cannot access that port.

So basically, how do i TIME STAMP in REAL TIME the data coming from the counter, while at the same time, that data is being processed by Matlab.

--- SAVING THE INFO OF THE COUNTER FOR FUTURE MATLAB USE IS NOT AN OPTION.... IT HAS TO BE IN REAL TIME....

Thanks for the help.
sc0ph
New User

Mar 24, 2011 1:05 am

Hard to believe MATLAB doesn't have a logging of some sort. However, a JAVA add-on or any of the other half dozen languages it supports, might be less intrusive.

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> RS232
Page 1 of 1

Running on php BB © 2001, 2009 php BB Group
   Lammert Bies     Interfacing     Sitemap     Forum