Computer Interfacing
Discussions about interfacing and electronics

RS232 max range extension

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> RS232
mamech
New User

Apr 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Hello

I am quiet new in field of rs232, so I want to ask about the achievability of what I will say.

I have read that according to standard of rs232, the max range is 15m, and the max speed @ 12m is 20kbps.

My questions are the following:
1-Can I make baudrate lower than 20kbps, so I can get more range? What the range could be if I used 9600kbps or 2400 kbps?

2-If I used twisted pair to transmit rs232, will this give a boost in range (because noise in eleminated)?

3-Can using rs232 repeaters double it max range?

4-In case of having a cable of 100m length(I am supposing here that the above mentioned scenarios can make me send with rs232 up to 100m) transmitting rs232 data , will be signal termination important? And will it be done using the same method as rs485 networks?(I mean that one searches for cable impedance and select a resistor that has the same impedance, etc..)

Thanks
take
New User

Mar 06, 2015 11:11 am

I don't think I will get an answer within this week as it is very urgent. I think it will be the other way round ---- I will find out myself and let you know.

Anyway, 1/1000 chances are somebody will reply within this week.

I am trying to controlling an lighting intelligent controller with DB9 as the PC-end and RJ45 as the controller-end. It is understood that by sending a series of bytes (maybe low significant byte
s for bulb and high significant byte for on/off,etc) to the COM port, the machine just works by turning on or off the light (assignable up to 10 bulbs) and better yet, control the brightness of the bulb.

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> RS232
Page 1 of 1

Running on php BB © 2001, 2009 php BB Group
   Lammert Bies     Interfacing     Sitemap     Forum