Computer Interfacing
Discussions about interfacing and electronics

Age difference in relationships! and other posts

Not all posts are computer interfacing or error detection related.

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> General talk
olmari

Mar 31, 2008 2:34 pm

Hmh... This post is wrong type of "Error detection and correction" than here is meant to be X-D

P.S. I hope Lammert doesn't close this forum, already plenty good posts too...
lammert
Site Admin

Apr 01, 2008 8:19 am

No way this forum will be closed. I plan to keep it open for at least five more years, I just moved to a new dedicated server a few weeks ago. Smile Despite rigid SPAM filtering which blocks several hundred posts per day, there are sometimes posts slipping through that must be removed by hand. And this was one of them.
olmari

Apr 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Hmm, make registration mandatory? (don't remember was it already) and use captcha?
lammert
Site Admin

Apr 01, 2008 3:43 pm

All modern spam robots can automatically sign up for an account on a phpbb forum site and the standard captcha's of phpbb are also no problem for most spambots. That is the problem with such a widely used open source forum system.

I have currently more than 1800 inactive spambot accounts in the userlist of this forum which all registered automatically. Not having mandatory registration actually helps because the automated robots are sometimes getting confused on a forum where registration is not mandatory because the flow of actions is different from a registration-only forum and therefore their pre-programmed list of actions fails.

I use a few non-standard ways to block spam and that works quite well. Not following the mainstream is the best way to keep a forum clean.
samuelarnold

Mar 28, 2011 10:25 am

Did you follow the right registration steps?

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> General talk
Page 1 of 1

Running on php BB © 2001, 2009 php BB Group
   Lammert Bies     Interfacing     Sitemap     Forum