Computer Interfacing
Discussions about interfacing and electronics

B&R open EPL Safety Technology protocol for Ethernet

Safety signals possible over unsafe fieldbus technologies

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> News about networking
lammert
Site Admin

Mar 14, 2007 5:58 am

Those who have been involved in utilizing ethernet and other non-failsafe networking systems in industrial environments know that there should always be a second independent parallel hardware circuit for safety reasons. It seems that that time has passed. B&R announced a new open safety protocol to be used in real-time Ethernet applications.

The ETHERNET Powerlink Safety Technology or EPL Safety technology allows a standard fieldbus network to carry both normal control and safety signals. The EPL technology conforms to IEC 61508 SIL Cat3.

More information at the company website.

Last edited by lammert on Mar 28, 2007 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bob72
New User

Mar 14, 2007 4:32 pm

Seems like a nice development. You are mentioning that it is working for a standard fieldbus network. Does this mean I can use the epl safety technology also with modbus? I am currently developing a modbus application and would like to know.

Thanks,
Bob
lammert
Site Admin

Mar 27, 2007 5:10 pm

I have checked your question with B&R and the EPL Safety Technology is independent of the transport protocol. This means that the technology can be used on all current fieldbus systems, including Modbus. The problem is, that B&R has to provide the details of the protocol to make it possible to implement it on other fieldbus structures and if and when this will happen is a question. At this moment their priority certainly lies on promoting and selling their own products with the EPL safety technology, rather than making it available for competitors.

You might however take a look at Hima. They manufacture safety solutions, including safety applications over Modbus. I have no idea about pricing--they seem to operate in the high-end market--but looking at their products and services, they should be able to provide a Modbus safety solution for your situation.
Ayan Prince
New User

Mar 16, 2015 12:27 pm

The problem is, that B&R has to provide the details of the protocol to make it possible to implement it on other fieldbus structures and if and when this will happen is a question. At this moment their priority certainly lies on promoting and selling their own products with the EPL safety technology, rather than making it available for competitors

Computer Interfacing Forum Index -> News about networking
Page 1 of 1

Running on php BB © 2001, 2009 php BB Group
   Lammert Bies     Interfacing     Sitemap     Forum